Sun, 12 Feb|
Bushey Grove Leisure Centre
Younger Teenager - All ability - Mixed - Bushey (30)
Play basketball to build resilience
Time & Location
12 Feb, 18:00 – 19:00
Bushey Grove Leisure Centre, Aldenham Rd, Bushey WD23 2TD, UK
About the event
Students can struggle to be resilient when they believe their only option is to overcome all obstacles to attaining high grades. To them, it can feel like they are a train on a train track that they can't get off. If there is an obstacle on the track the only thing they can do is try harder to push through - knowing that if they fail they let everyone down. Believing this stops students from seeing the bigger picture - that they are not on a track - they can adapt and go around the obstacle. They can't be resilient. Instead of explaining what resilience is - we give players an experience of improving at something by stepping around obstacles. Resilience lifts. Anxiety drops. Ingenuity and laughing become part of their lives.
- We play basketball where the players can only progress by playing in the space between obstacles. Players are stopped from trying to go through obstacles and stopped from blocking obstacles. Players practice seeing the bigger picture. Seeing how obstacles relate to each other and then using this to manipulate obstacles so that space opens and closes in the right place - at the right time. They practice flowing between obstacles by waiting to let events unfold before they act. Players go to a new level of adaptability on the field of play. Students' progress and outcomes follow the progress.
- Games Coaching is designed to work outside of a sports club infrastructure. No trials, no squads, no leagues.
- This session is younger teenagers.
- 6 to 7pm. Bushey Grove Leisure Centre, WD23 2TD
- 13+ - Mixed - All ability.
- There is a big "ish" with age. 11 is ok, if it works for the player.
- Full court
- The easiest way to pay us using the app which you can get by going to your phone's app store, search for wix.com app called Spaces. Download. And then enter this code QTKFDS
- Don't let a lack of money stop you from coming. We have free tickets. Contact jon.thorne@LifeSkills21.club you don't need to explain - He will just give you the code.
What players and parents think
- We went to the most amazing basketball session in Hemel at Longdean school. My son is autistic and has ADHD he struggles to follow instruction and is extremely demand avoidant. This session took all the barriers away for my son and he had the most amazing time, his words “I loved it”. Well worth checking out
- A young players - "I like Jon’s sessions because instead of telling us what to do we all just work it out ourselves"
- A parent - "It’s refreshing to see someone run a sports session with a focus on kindness and flexibility instead of adherence to set patterns based on traditional ways of learning. We have always been made to feel welcome and encouraged to participate and my children gain confidence by being part of something that requires teamwork. As an observer, I enjoy seeing the players thinking about not just themselves but the whole team. It’s not about just playing ball, it’s about creative thinking, consideration of others and teamwork"
Lets play ball
We are a social enterprise. We use all profits to give those who are excluded or vulnerable to social exclusion a free experience of playing sports and games where everyone set's each other up to succeed. Where everyone constantly imagines other ways. Where everyone uses mistakes to find what is next and grow. Experiences to build a belief that they are not stuck as they are now. Thank you. Contact jon.thorne@LifeSkills21.club to get a free ticket
Pay what you want
Pay what you want
Please, don't let a lack of money stop you from coming. We are a social enterprise. Or, pay more as a donation.
Pay what you want0