Sun, 27 Nov|
Bushey Grove Leisure Centre
Younger Teenager - All ability - Mixed - Bushey (23)
We use Games Coaching to provide a different way to improve
Time & Location
27 Nov 2022, 18:00 – 19:05
Bushey Grove Leisure Centre, Aldenham Rd, Bushey WD23 2TD, UK
About the event
In an age where we need to be comfortable - where we need to blame others when things go out of control and get upset by the slightest inconvenience... We play to let go of a need to control and take the left foot, then the right foot, into the uncontrollable. Relax. See the truth of what happened - and repeat. We play to find a way to get a result before the uncontrollable gets out of hand. We play to lift ourselves out of the details - see the bigger picture - and flow through the space between obstacles to have the most outrageous experience imaginable. We play to live a beautiful life.
- 6 to 7pm. Bushey Grove Leisure Centre, WD23 2TD
- 13+ - Mixed - All ability.
- There is a big "ish" with age. 11 is ok, if it works for the player.
- Full court
- The easiest way to pay us using the app which you can get by going to your phone's app store, search for wix.com app called Spaces. Download. And then enter this code QTKFDS
- Don't let a lack of money stop you from coming. We have free tickets. Contact jon.thorne@LifeSkills21.club you don't need to explain - He will just give you the code.
Any questions contact the help centre
A different way to improve
Games Coaching is a different way to improve - because it's about getting a result in the uncontrollable parts of a game - and not about improving the ability to control the controllable - which is commonly done by many sports coaches.
- The important parts of life happen in the uncontrollable.
- Competitive games are won by how we deal with the uncontrollable parts of the game.
This is why it's a good idea to play games with a Games Coach and learn to be less anxious when we can't control what is happening and relax into agile, fluid, creative, joyful, entertaining, flowing thinkers and movers who find different ways to get different results - before the uncontrollable gets out of hand.
A different way to compete
Competition is not victory. it's a way to progress. A journey of progress always comes before winning. We don't set our minds on the outcome of winning because it triggers both FEAR and HOPE in most of us. FEAR we will fail and HOPE we will win. FEAR stops us try different ways and HOPE makes us give up when we don't get what we want. We become motionless - both fearing and hoping for change. We want to avoid this. We play games to create a journey of improvement - a sense of moving away from where we are now. A feeling of flow. It's left foot, right foot, lift ourselves out of the details - see the bigger picture - see space between obstacles - and left foot, right foot, through that space. Breathe and repeat.
A different type of team
Games Coaching creates fluid thinking teams that ripple. As the first player moves, the next player takes into account what the first player did and moves, the 3rd player does the same, and so on through the team in a constantly flowing rippling of movement that opens and closes space to flow through. It is beautiful to watch. Even when we stumble, fall, backtrack and all the evidence tells us we are failing - we are always moving forward. Teams that are set up to control the controllable move at the same time - as planned - everyone expecting each other to be in a certain place at a certain time. It’s more attritional than beautiful. These rigid teams win when they have enough athletic dominance to control a game and lose if they don't. Often boring to watch.
Games Coaching Explained
Games Coaches generate a dynamic set of obstacles that impact what players want to do. Players are stopped from trying to control the obstacles - and helped to lift themselves out of the detail - to see the wider context - the bigger picture of what is going on around them - and flow through the space between obstacles to discover different ways to get different results when nobody knows what is going happen - before the uncontrollable gets out of hand.
The one guiding principle - 'Be Kind'
The principle of 'being kind' lowers any anxiety we have about not being in control of what is happening which makes it easier to relax into being agile, fluid, creative, joyful, entertaining, flowing thinkers and movers able to get a result in the uncontrollable before the uncontrollable gets out of hand.
There are 3 ways many of us try to control others, which Games Coaching stops.
1. We use superior knowledge of the details to make others do as we say.
2. We control who is seen to be the weakest by deflecting blame onto others.
3. We use the fact we are bigger, stronger, and faster to make others do what we want them to do.
Only those who always seek to control are excluded. We are diverse, not inclusive.
What players and parents think
- We went to the most amazing basketball session in Hemel at Longdean school. My son is autistic and has ADHD he struggles to follow instruction and is extremely demand avoidant. This session took all the barriers away for my son and he had the most amazing time, his words “I loved it”. Well worth checking out
- A young players - "I like Jon’s sessions because instead of telling us what to do we all just work it out ourselves"
- A parent - "It’s refreshing to see someone run a sports session with a focus on kindness and flexibility instead of adherence to set patterns based on traditional ways of learning. We have always been made to feel welcome and encouraged to participate and my children gain confidence by being part of something that requires teamwork. As an observer, I enjoy seeing the players thinking about not just themselves but the whole team. It’s not about just playing ball, it’s about creative thinking, consideration of others and teamwork"
Any questions contact the help centre
Lets play ball
We are a social enterprise. We use all profits to give those who are excluded or vulnerable to social exclusion a free experience of playing sports and games where everyone set's each other up to succeed. Where everyone constantly imagines other ways. Where everyone uses mistakes to find what is next and grow. Experiences to build a belief that they are not stuck as they are now. Thank you. Contact jon.thorne@LifeSkills21.club to get a free ticket
Pay what you want
Pay what you want
Please, don't let a lack of money stop you from coming. We are a social enterprise. Or, pay more as a donation.
Pay what you want0