Tue, 25 Apr|
Longdean Sports Space
Spectrum Basketball @ Hemel (30)
For SEN players we provide a more neurodiverse version of sports coaching.
Time & Location
25 Apr, 18:00 – 19:05
Longdean Sports Space, HP3 8JH
About the event
- For SEN players we provide a more neurodiverse version of sports coaching.
- A common way to reduce the panic that comes from having too much input - is to put the details into a structure. This has never worked for us. We can never put enough of the details in our ever-changing structure quickly enough to give us some peace. So, we developed a way to use the details to frame the space into which we flow. Flow not structure gives us peace. We play to find flow.
- Instead of coaching players to meet The Standard - of how to play - we help players diversify how they think to find their own way to progress and enjoy playing. We play to diversify our thinking. To solve problems that can't be solved by thinking in The Standard way. To add back the fun often lost by focusing on meeting The Standard way of playing.
- 6 to 7pm.
- It is at Longdean Sportspace. https://goo.gl/maps/fuLVP231RfcRCvXo6 The entrance is not via Longdean school. There is a separate entrance that you can only find by just putting the post code in - HP3 8JH - off Hill Common. The easiest way is to use “What3Words” and they are ///guard.forks.fries
- There is a big "ish" with age. If it works for the player it works for us.
- Full court
- The easiest way to pay us using the app which you can get by going to your phone's app store, search for wix.com app called Spaces. Download. And then enter this code QTKFDS
- Don't let a lack of money stop you from coming. We have free tickets. Contact jon.thorne@LifeSkills21.club you don't need to explain - He will just give you the code.
What players and parents think
- We went to the most amazing basketball session in Hemel at Longdean school. My son is autistic and has ADHD he struggles to follow instruction and is extremely demand avoidant. This session took all the barriers away for my son and he had the most amazing time, his words “I loved it”. Well worth checking out
- A young player - "I like Jon’s sessions because instead of telling us what to do we all just work it out ourselves"
- A parent - "It’s refreshing to see someone run a sports session with a focus on kindness and flexibility instead of adherence to set patterns based on traditional ways of learning. We have always been made to feel welcome and encouraged to participate and my children gain confidence by being part of something that requires teamwork. As an observer, I enjoy seeing the players thinking about not just themselves but the whole team. It’s not about just playing ball, it’s about creative thinking, consideration of others and teamwork"
We typically take about £75 from parents. The court costs £50. We would very much appreciate a sponsor to support this session by covering the court cost as this will enable our Games Coaches to be paid to run this event. And for us to train parents to be new Games Coaches. Please contact jon.thorne@LifeSkills21.club to explore more.
Any questions contact the help centre
Lets play ball
We are a social enterprise. We use all profits to give those who are excluded or vulnerable to social exclusion a free experience of playing sports and games where everyone set's each other up to succeed. Where everyone constantly imagines other ways. Where everyone uses mistakes to find what is next and grow. Experiences to build a belief that they are not stuck as they are now. Thank you. Contact jon.thorne@LifeSkills21.club to get a free ticket
Pay what you want
Pay what you want
Please, don't let a lack of money stop you from coming. We are a social enterprise. Or, pay more as a donation.
Pay what you want0