PLAY TO THINK A LITTLE MORE DIFFERENTLY
LifeSkills21.club is a multi-sport community club for players who want to develop an equally important skill to attaining higher technical standards. The ability to play with ideas. A skill which, when added to technique, makes for all-round excellence! And keeps us young at heart
Sun, 11 Dec|
Bushey Grove Leisure Centre
All ability - Bushey (24)
We use Games Coaching to provide a different way to improve
Time & Location
11 Dec 2022, 19:00 – 20:00
Bushey Grove Leisure Centre, Bushey Grove Leisure Centre, Aldenham Rd, Bushey WD23 2TD, UK
About the event
We are told we prepare ourselves for good mental health by drinking less, eating better, sleeping better, and slowing and calming ourselves to weaken our grip on ways of thinking that are not working for us. We go a step further. We play games to become mentally healthier. We play games to think in a fluid way to move through the space between obstacles to see what else we can do.
- 7 to 8pm. Bushey Grove Leisure Centre, WD23 2TD
- 50+ and adult beginner - Mixed - All ability.
- There is a big "ish" with age. Basically if you prefer half court and a slower, gentle, kind play - come along.
- Half court
- The easiest way to pay us using the app which you can get by going to your phone's app store, search for wix.com app called Spaces. Download. And then enter this code QTKFDS
- Don't let a lack of money stop you from coming. We have free tickets. Contact jon.thorne@LifeSkills21.club you don't need to explain - He will just give you the code.
Any questions contact the help centre
- Players compete to encourage each other to progress.
- Players progress by trying different ways - going with the flow - and seeing where it takes everyone.
- Players grow the fluid thinking that helps them avoid being stuck in a way of thinking that stops them from progressing.
Games Coaching is a progressive way to play sports
We are open to all abilities. From 8 to 80+. Good for those on the Autistic Spectrum. Good for mental health. No trials. No squads. No leagues. Pay as you go. Play for the joy of improving. There are 3 things that make Games Coaching progressive...
- We have moved on from thinking competition is about winning a battle for control and superiority to seeing competition as a process for everyone to push each other to progress. Those who progress the most in a game - win the game. Winning follows progress.
- We have moved on from thinking progress is making fewer mistakes to seeing progress as a movement away from where we are now.
- We have moved on from thinking coachable players are those who follow instructions to encouraging everyone to try different ways - go with the flow - and seeing where it takes us all.
Our progressive thinking means Games Coaching provides a different way to improve, a different way to compete, in a different type of team.
A different way to improve
Games Coaching is a different way to improve - because it's about getting a result in the uncontrollable parts of a game - and not about improving the ability to control the controllable - which is commonly done by many sports coaches.
- The important parts of life happen in the uncontrollable.
- Competitive games are won by how we deal with the uncontrollable parts of the game.
This is why it's a good idea to play games with a Games Coach and learn to be less anxious when we can't control what is happening and relax into agile, fluid, creative, joyful, entertaining, flowing thinkers and movers who find different ways to get different results - before the uncontrollable gets out of hand.
A different way to compete
Competition is not victory. it's a way to progress. A journey of progress always comes before winning. We don't set our minds on the outcome of winning because it triggers both FEAR and HOPE in most of us. FEAR we will fail and HOPE we will win. FEAR stops us try different ways and HOPE makes us give up when we don't get what we want. We become motionless - both fearing and hoping for change. We want to avoid this. We play games to create a journey of improvement - a sense of moving away from where we are now. A feeling of flow. It's left foot, right foot, lift ourselves out of the details - see the bigger picture - see space between obstacles - and left foot, right foot, through that space. Breathe and repeat.
A different type of team
Games Coaching creates fluid thinking teams that ripple. As the first player moves, the next player takes into account what the first player did and moves, the 3rd player does the same, and so on through the team in a constantly flowing rippling of movement that opens and closes space to flow through. It is beautiful to watch. Even when we stumble, fall, backtrack and all the evidence tells us we are failing - we are always moving forward. Teams that are set up to control the controllable move at the same time - as planned - everyone expecting each other to be in a certain place at a certain time. It’s more attritional than beautiful. These rigid teams win when they have enough athletic dominance to control a game and lose if they don't. Often boring to watch.
How Games Coaching works
Games Coaches generate a dynamic set of obstacles that impact what players want to do. Players are stopped from trying to control the obstacles - and helped to lift themselves out of the detail - to see the wider context - the bigger picture of what is going on around them. To see how the obstacles relate to each other. To flow through the space between obstacles to discover different ways to get different results when nobody knows what is going happen - before the uncontrollable gets out of hand.
The one guiding principle - be kind
The principle of 'being kind' lowers any anxiety we have about not being in control of what is happening which makes it easier to relax into being agile, fluid, creative, joyful, entertaining, flowing thinkers and movers able to get a result in the uncontrollable before the uncontrollable gets out of hand.
There are 3 ways many of us try to control others, which Games Coaching stops.
1. We use superior knowledge of the details to make others do as we say.
2. We control who is seen to be the weakest by deflecting blame onto others.
3. We use the fact we are bigger, stronger, and faster to make others do what we want them to do.
Only those who always seek to control are excluded. We are diverse, not inclusive. Click here to see a video that explains why Games Coaching is particularly useful for those on the Autistic spectrum.
What the players say
"They are fun. They are stress free. Jon - has a way of teaching that I don't feel I am are being told what to do. I am encouraged to make my own choices and then supported with the decisions I make. There is no wrong decision. Only learning opportunities. Jon always finds a way to make feedback constructive and positive to help me make my own evaluations about my performance and how I can improve. He is supportive while pushing you to always be better and reach maximum potential".
Any questions contact the help centre
Lets play ball
We are a social enterprise. We use all profits to give those who are excluded or vulnerable to social exclusion a free experience of playing sports and games where everyone set's each other up to succeed. Where everyone constantly imagines other ways. Where everyone uses mistakes to find what is next and grow. Experiences to build a belief that they are not stuck as they are now. Thank you. Contact jon.thorne@LifeSkills21.club to get a free tickets
Pay what you want
Pay what you want
Please, don't let a lack of money stop you from coming. We are a social enterprise. Or, pay more as a donation.
Pay what you want0